STUPINIGI HUNTING HOUSE
Savoy Residence for Hunting and Festivals Built starting from 1729 on a project by Filippo Juvarra, the Palazzina di Caccia di Stupinigi is one of the monumental jewels of Turin, 10 km from Piazza Castello, in perfect direction. Built on the land of Emanuele Filiberto's first donation to the Order of Saints Maurizio and Lazzaro (1573), it is now owned by the Mauritian Order Foundation, a government body dedicated to its conservation and enhancement. Reopened to the public after major restoration works, the Palazzina di Caccia, one of the most extraordinary eighteenth-century complexes in Europe, has full museum dignity with its original furnishings, paintings, cabinet-making masterpieces and land design.
The construction of the Palazzina di Caccia began in 1729 on a project by Filippo Juvarra, and continued until the end of the 18th century. with extension and completion interventions by Benedetto Alfieri and other architects such as Giovanni Tommaso Prunotto, Ignazio Birago di Borgaro, Ludovico Bo, Ignazio Bertola. An exceptional testimony of the spirit of the late Juvarra and of Benedetto Alfieri, it is reflected and found in the international rococo of European royal residences. It is a place of leisure for hunting in the life of the Savoy court, a sumptuous and refined residence favored by the Savoy family for parties and weddings during the 13th century. XVIII and XIX, as well as the residence chosen by Napoleon in the early 1800s. At the beginning of the twentieth century it was chosen as a residence by Queen Margherita, and since 1919 it has also been home to the Furniture Museum. It constitutes the eminent element of the Mauritian historical and artistic heritage.